[uf-discuss] rel="license" and citation

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sat Nov 18 10:38:22 PST 2006

In message <1163840103.5880.26.camel at localhost.localdomain>, Mike
Linksvayer <ml at creativecommons.org> writes

>On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 07:16 +0000, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>> hReview can use rel="license" to show that the license, not the page
>> itself, is available under a certain license.
>
>You meant "... to show that the contents of the hReview itself is
>licensed, not the page ..."

Indeed. Thank you.

>> Why not do the page for citations, so that I can cite, say, a Wordsworth
>> poem, and indicate that the poem, but not my page, is public domain?

I also meant "why not do the /same/ for citations...

Goodness knows what happened to my typing, this morning...

>If you want to be symmetric with
>http://microformats.org/wiki/hReview#Field_details rel="license" in a
>citation would be saying that the contents of the citation is licensed,
>not the cited work.

Perhaps,; but that's unlikely to be the case - often, if not usually, a
citation is "fair use", regardless of the copyright or license state of
the source.

>On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 07:25 +0000, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>> I'm starting to look at using rel="license". Am I right in thing that
>> it
>> can be used to indicate that a page is NOT available under a license,
>> as
>> well as for those that are? For instance:
>>
>>         This page is <a rel="license"
>>         href="http://www.example.com/copyright>copyright Example Ltd.
>>         2006</a> and may not be reproduced.
>>
>I'm not sure what the point of this would be as default copyright is
>... the default

Yes, but /whose/ copyright?

Consider, on one site:

         This page is <a rel="license"