[uf-discuss] hCard search engine at Alexa

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Mon Nov 20 10:08:18 PST 2006

On 20 Nov 2006, at 17:36, Kenji Matsuoka wrote:
> I've written an hCard search engine as a sample app for the Alexa
> Web Search Platform (AWSP).  I looked at around 220,000,000 pages
> on some of the more frequently visited domains on the web, and
> found around 250,000 hCards.  You can try it out at http://
> www.alexa.com/site/devcorner/hcard.  The source code isn't up on
> the web site yet, but I think it will be soon.
>
> This is intended more as an AWSP demo than as a full-fledged
> application.  Still, it's kind of fun to play with.
>
> I had help from some of my co-workers at Alexa who are microformat
> enthusiasts, including Ben West.

Very nice work. I'm getting a few instances of no results returned,
but I guess that's just early code. Not sure if using the Ç character
when searching for Tantek had anything to do with it though.

One thing I would request though is that the results listing also be
marked up with hCard, since that would enable use of existing
Microformats browser tools to transfer hCards from the results into
desktop address books and so forth.

Ben