[uf-discuss] Custom Fields Microformat?

Manuel Simoni msimoni at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 07:07:02 PST 2006

> you should certainly look into XOXO.
> http://microformats.org/wiki/xoxo

I know, I originally made a precursor to this strawman using XOXO:
http://manuel.typepad.com/manuel/2006/10/buckybase.html

However, following the Microformats process and studying the
Wordpress, Drupal/Content Construction Kit, Textpattern, and Movable
Type custom field implementations,  I found that XOXO isn't suited to
express the current behavior nicely.

Rewriting the current formats of Wordpress:
<ul class='post-meta'>
 <li>
  low
 </li>
</ul>

and Drupal/CCK:
 <h3 class="field-label">Priority</h3>

in XOXO would be a reengineering effort for the affected communities,
whereas the hcustomfield-* classes are minimally invasive:

<ul>
 <li class="hcustomfield">
 </li>
</ul>

and
 <h3 class="hcustomfield-name">Priority</h3>

For example, XOXO would force implementors to adapt a list structure,
which probably is too rigid for them. The hcustomfield-* classes let
implementors use any layout they desire, and my examples show that the
use of these three simple classes is enough to unify two major existing
implementations (Wordpress and Drupal).

Manuel

--
Manuel Simoni