[uf-discuss] Re: Currency + Unit of measurement (Was: Currency+Product)

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Sun Oct 1 10:53:56 PDT 2006

On Sep 29, 2006, at 5:09 PM, Guillaume Lebleu wrote:

> I don't think Lorenzo is talking of: *currency amount per item/
> product* as your title and example imply (that, I agree, is a non-
> starter)
>
> but of *currency amount per unit of measurement* (which is widely
> used - see for instance: http://www.bloomberg.com/energy/, although
> not in the context of a house/product/job in which case the unit is
> obvious).
>
> In "$25 per barrel" or in "25 ($/bbl)", I think you would agree
> that knowing that the barrel is the unit of measurement is very
> significant, and even though knowing that "$" means USD dollars,
> overlooking that it is a price per barrel would lead to a big mistake.

I think "$" is a unit of measuring currency, and "barrel" is a unit
of measuring oil, which in this case is the product the currency
references.  Though used together here, these are two distinct
problems that deserve separate microformats, one for currency and
another for products (i.e. hListing).  Measurement of currency can be
useful without considering measurement of products of purchase.  We
should start with describing the simplest form of useful data.

Peace,
Scott