[uf-discuss] geo - accuracy of coordinates

Michael MD mdagn at spraci.com
Mon Oct 2 00:31:14 PDT 2006

Is there a way to specify the accuracy of latitude/longitude?

Some information (such as data used for street maps) would obviously have to
be as accurate as possible but there would be other cases where it would be
useful to just be able specify that something is in a certain city and
easily work out an approximate distance from another city.

I think it would be good to have a way to distinguish something that is
accurate enough to display a street map from something that is only accurate
enough to tell you what city or country something is in.

I don't think the character of the resource being described is enough.

eg: If its for a venue for an event and I know its in a certain city but I
don't know the coordinates down to street address level it could sometimes
still be useful to calculate an approximate travel distance from another
city even though the available coordinates are not accurate enough be used
to show a street map of the actual address.

What if I want to be able to show a street map only if the coordinates are
accurate enough?

There would also be plenty of other similar situations such as someone just
wanting to mark up what city or country they live in without telling the
world their actual home address compared to a business or shop wanting to
mark up their location accurately so that people can easily find their
office/shop on a street map.