History Microformat (was Re: [uf-discuss] Dated currency examples?)

Kevin Marks kmarks at technorati.com
Mon Oct 2 19:50:31 PDT 2006

On Sep 25, 2006, at 10:03 AM, Jeremy Boggs wrote:
> i would be very interested in helping to explore a "history"
> microformat. In my spare time, I've been collecting examples of
> history timelines, after discussions a few months ago on this list
> about the inability of using hCalendar to mark up before common era
> dates, and other considerations for marking up historical dates and
> spans of time.[1] I've collected examples of uses of BCE dates and
> timelines in general, but I could easily expand the scope of my
> inquiry.

Starting to collect these at history-examples on the wiki, and making
notes at history-brainstorming would be a useful start.

> Like Tantek says, a history microformat might help address the issue
> of past currency values, as well as help markup a host of other
> historical information: both secondary sources (biographies,
> timelines, articles, genealogy) and primary sources (census records,
> newspapers, letters, diaries, probate records, etc...). I may be
> biased about this (I'm a history PhD student. And, I understand that
> we would need to collect real-world examples first before moving on.
> I'd be happy to share what I've collected so far, and help out any way
> I can, if the community thinks it is worthwhile.

Price exchanges are a complex subject, and we should be wary of either
over-simplifying the real world, or bringing too much of its own
complexity with us.

Some prices fluctuate minute by minute (think stock markets), some on a
slower basis. For most currencies, people are willing to consider
prices in that currency as usably stable, though obviously the date it
was offered is a useful secondary piece of information.

Comparing prices between countries and even more so between eras is far
more problematic, because of technological change affecting relative
prices. I don't think we want to get into GDP deflators and Purchasing
Power Parity if we can avoid having to. See this recent post for some
of the complexities:

http://www.janegalt.net/archives/009469.html

One thing that has come up several time here is a discussion of
date/price series - comparing prices over time. That seems like a
useful thing to consider in the light of composable date and price +
currency formats.