[uf-discuss] geo - accuracy of coordinates

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Mon Oct 2 20:01:52 PDT 2006

On Oct 2, 2006, at 9:20 PM, Ryan King wrote:

> 1. Actually, you don't need to have lat/long to get distance. There
> are plenty of services for translating human readable addresses
> into machine readable values.
>
> 2. Remember, lat/long is not human first. Lat/long is for machines.
> Few people use them (remember, us geeks are exceptional). In most
> cases people author with human readable location information, they
> only use lat/long to make the machines happy.

This is probably a good time to point out that I made a proxy service
to read URLs with hCards and append geo markup wherever it is missing
and can be found from public geocoding services (currently covering
US and Canada):

<http://microformat.makedatamakesense.com/auto_geo/>

I was hoping to add some more functionality before posting it to the
wiki, but Ryan wrote such a nice explanation of why this is useful.
Here's my geo-lacking hCard mapped on Google using this and Brian's
geo-to-KML service:

<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http%3A//suda.co.uk/projects/
microformats/geo/get-geo.php%3Ftype%3Dkml%26uri%3Dhttp%253A//
microformat.makedatamakesense.com/auto_geo/%253Furl%253Dhttp%25253A%
25252F%25252Frandomchaos.com%25252Fdocuments%25252F%25253Fsource%
25253Dscott_reynen>

Peace,
Scott