[uf-discuss] First version of Currency proposal

Stephen Paul Weber singpolyma at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 06:16:45 PDT 2006

> >I'll repeat my example here, because it doesn't require altering the
> >published content at all:

> >class="currency" title="USD">¢</abbr></span>
>
> This is the sort of absurdity that the credit card advertisers
> engage in.  What you see is 99 and what you get is less than 1.
> Don't go there.  Maintain the functional integrity of the
> construction, or you will generate lots of errors through
> uncomprehending use.

Actually, his example makes perfect sense.  99¢ == 0.99$ and since USD
== $ therefore the client app will either end up reading 0.99 out of
the data (as in his example) or converting 99¢ to 0.99 so that it can
work with it... which amounts to the same thing, the second is just
more code.  There is no absurdity present.  In fact, to force code to
convert centrs to dollars when dollars could have easily been encoded
in the original format seems almost absurd.  Although either works.