title attribute and abbreviated class names (Was: [uf-discuss]Currency Quickpoll: Preliminary results)

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 01:42:01 PDT 2006

>> I think your use of the title attribute in these examples contains two
bad practices....

Hmm.  I see your point, and being new to this I'm learning from your
examples.

OTOH, I also see that the proposals I first viewed as being very complex and
I'd fear many people simply won't implement them until there is a direct
benefit, and there will likely be few direct benefits until lots of people
start implementing them; a classic chick and egg problem.  Is there not a
way to significantly reduce complexity, at least in the 80 percentile case
and still maintain proper semantics?  I know I'm new and might be schooled
to understand the downside of my current view, but currentky if I had to
between the two, I'd vote for semantics that don't fit perfectly over
significantly greater required complexity per each marked up amount.

>> It's a minor problem, but it's also a minor solution - typing four extra
letters.

Point of note, my concern wasn't typing extra letters, it was the need to
transmit extra bites over the wire.  Imaging a very large volume site that
has hundreds of prices to mark up per page, and they server millions of
pages an hour. It might add up to be a concern.  For example, why does
google use "q" instead of "query" on it's search box?  I'm assuming to
reduce unnecessary characters.

Thanks again for listening.

-Mike