[uf-discuss] First version of Currency proposal

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sat Oct 14 13:04:08 PDT 2006

In message <002d01c6efc9$8b1e46c0$2102fea9 at Guides.local>, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at gmail.com> writes

>This gives me a chance to ask in a different way, why can we not assume
>type=USD, amount=5.99, and symbol=$ from the following?
>
>       The book costs <span class="currency" title="USD">$5.99</span>
>
>I believe you answer will be "what about unicode where we are not using
>[A-Za-z0-9] and if so, I would say that is when you add a symbol. In my
>example, <symbol> is the non-[A-Za-z0-9] character(s) *if* no symbol is
>explicitly specified. Can you give me an example where that would not
>work?

        yy <span class="currency" title="USD">$zz 5.99</span>

Where yy and zz are, say Japanese or Urdu characters (where zz might
mean, again for example, "approximately).

--
Andy Mabbett
                Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>

                Free Our Data:  <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>