[uf-discuss] Currency Quickpoll: Preliminary results

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sat Oct 14 13:21:54 PDT 2006

In message <003301c6efc9$8c9e08f0$2102fea9 at Guides.local>, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at gmail.com> writes

>>>        £1 was worth 2.50 dollars
>
>Those are edge cases which require additional complexity. I'm
>advocating that edge cases, which are certainly in the 20 percentile or
>less have the complexity whereas the more common use-cases (certainly
>more than 80 percentile) should require less complex markup.
>
>Most of the time we see just $2.50 or just £1. My point is "Why require
>all the overhead (which will likely cause this microformat not to get
>used very often) in order to support far less common use-cases with the
>same markup?"
>
>>From my experience of running a small internet retailer for 12 years

I'm not a retailer, but if I was, I'm sure I wouldn't consider the
prospect of a 20% failure rate very satisfactory...

That said, why not make the "symbol" markup optional?

--
Andy Mabbett
                Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>

                Free Our Data:  <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>