[uf-discuss] hCalendar spec- no specification included!

Justin Thorp juth at loc.gov
Mon Oct 16 14:05:08 PDT 2006

Ben, I really like your idea of giving the wiki a better sense of organization.

Is it possible within MediaWiki to have some type of sidebar navigation with this site organization on it?

I think this would help users to better find the information that they are looking for. For example, I am a user who could care less about the specification and cares more about how to write an hCard or hCalendar.  I want to see whats possible and some examples.

I didn't even see that there was a page on authoring within the pages and pages of specification.  Even with it at the top of the page.  I glanced right over it.

It seems like most tutorials on hCard or hCalendar point people to the spec to get more information.  Should we be encouraging people to point to the authoring page?  I think a newbie would be very very very intimidated being pointed right to the spec.

Cheers,
Justin

******************
Justin Thorp
Contractor - Library of Congress
e - juth at loc.gov
p - 202/707-9541

>>> bewest at gmail.com 10/16/06 4:16 PM >>>
Quick Summary:
* Lots of interest in wiki improvement
* Work I've done
* Please Help!

I've noticed there are lots of people interested in changing the wiki
in various ways.  Perhaps it would help if can converge around some
common goals to rally our work around.  I don't think anyone has any
objections to the claim that the wiki is hard to read.

Let's move forward:
I've outlined some of my ideas at
<http://microformats.org/wiki/to-do#Information_Architecture>.  There
seem to several categories of stuff on the wiki.  I've outlined them
in my to-do list and would greatly appreciate commentary and
refinement.  Andy and all others interested in this effort: would you
mind adding your ideas to your own section on the to-do page?  Also
feel free to comment inline with my ideas.  Here's part of my
categorization to provoke you a bit:
-------------------------------------
There are several categories of things in the wiki. Can we enumerate them?

    * About the Community
          o Where to find information.
          o Who are the stake holders?
          o FAQs
    * Web/Architectural Philosophy
          o Community Principles
          o Why are we doing this?
          o XML and Namespaces
          o Semantic XHTML
          o Common Misconceptions
          o Concession and Disposition of Criticism
          o FAQs
    * Specs
          o Examples
          o Discussion
          o Exploration
          o Use Cases
          o Implementations
          o The spec itself.

Perhaps different categories of things need different approaches for
refinement.  Anyone see any problems with  my categorization?
Anything missing/wrong?

I'd love to see Andy, Phae, Scott, Tantek, and anyone else interested
in improving the wiki start to use the to-do list so I can align my
organizational thoughts with everyone.  Perhaps we can even run some
kind of virtual card sort to help establish how things should be
organized.  Anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

Ben