[uf-discuss] include-pattern semantics

Ciaran McNulty mail at ciaranmcnulty.com
Tue Oct 17 04:01:17 PDT 2006

When the include-pattern[1] is used, the spec says that "'include' on
the object element to indicate that that object refers to a subtree
which should be included in its place' [2].

What I'm interested in is what happens to any additional classes that
are applied to the inclusion element (i.e. the A or OBJECT).

My instinct when marking up an entry in hAtom, for example, would be
to use something like the following:
<a class="include author" href="#vcard-elsewhere" />

The spec and examples don't make it clear whether the included element
will 'inherit' the @class="author" from the A, or whether it would be
ignored.

Does anyone with an existing implementation or parser have an opinion
about whether this sort of markup is correct?  If not, what would be
the correct markup, or what would be the behaviour of existing parsers
when presented with something like the above?

Whatever the answer, I think it'd be a good idea to update / add to
the examples to cover this case - I'd be happy to do so myself once I
know what the correct answer is.

Cheers,

-Ciaran McNulty

  [1] http://microformats.org/wiki/include-pattern