[uf-discuss] Size considerations (or how to choose abbreviations)

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 20:18:28 PDT 2006

>> The point I am trying to make is abbreviations can be very dangerous and
are very easy to mis-interpret so I think we need to think long and hard
before choosing and implementing them.  I am not arguing against them in
specific cases but very well thought out cases.

I have a question about that.  I'll use the example of money because it's
one I'm more familiar with.  In this particular case, we have money,
currency, and amount:

	   <abbr class="currency" title="USD">$</abbr>

However, and this is an honest question, isn't "currency" and "amount"
really only valid in context with "money?"  Wouldn't that make it okay to
abbreviate the children of money, like so?:

	   <abbr class="cur" title="USD">$</abbr>

-Mike