[uf-discuss] Microformats vs. CalDAV?

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 20:18:28 PDT 2006

Hi all:

I was just emailing with someone who's company offers software as a service
and I was encouraging him to adopt Microformats including hCard and
hCalendar. His response to me was:

   "The good news is Apple in on our board, which means CalDAV would be the
standard we'd employ."
   CalDEV: http://ietf.osafoundation.org/caldav/

Now, it's my understanding that one of the benefits of Microformats is that
it co-exists nicely with other standards, and often even augments them quite
well. But I'm still new enough at this I didn't want to stumble in trying to
explain and advocate Microformats to someone who thinks CalDAV is the only
thing they need to support.

Can I get some help with this?

-Mike Schinkel
P.S. Also, I think a great addition to the FAQ would be to list of standard
like vCard and CalDAV etc. and give arguments for why Microformats should be
considering in parallel as opposed to an alternate.  Tantek explained these
things in his presentation where I got my first "Aha" regarding
Microformats, but I'm still weak on the justification for each case.