[uf-discuss] Size considerations (or how to choose)

Charles Roper charles.roper at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 09:58:34 PDT 2006

On 21/10/06, Kevin Marks <kmarks at technorati.com> wrote:
> On the broader point, assuming you use gzip when you care about size,
> abbreviations don't save much, especially in the many-repeated case
> discussed.

This is one of my primary arguments against using abbreviations. See
my original post:

http://snipurl.com/10156

There's an online tool for doing before and after comparisons. Here
are the results from a medium sized page from one of my sites using
hCard:

http://snipurl.com/1015m

That's 26kb down to 5kb - an 82% compression rate and 5.3x transfer
rate improvement.

The compression check page can be found here:

http://www.port80software.com/tools/compresscheck.asp

Can anyone give any real *disadvantages* to using output compression?

Charles