[uf-discuss] Size considerations (or how to choose abbreviations)

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sat Oct 21 12:02:46 PDT 2006

In message <8ad71be30610211137sf749bd9v28369b944821cd4d at mail.gmail.com>,
Benjamin West <bewest at gmail.com> writes

>>From <http://microformats.org/wiki/geo>:
>"geo is a 1:1 representation of the "geo" property in the vCard
>standard (RFC2426 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2426.txt)) in XHTML"
>
>As you can see, the authors of the spec weren't the ones doing any
>abbreviating.  The name was picked to reuse a pre-existing standard.

I've never suggested otherwise.

>* Are there any examples on the web where people are using "sci" as a
>class name in a way that roughly means what you also intend it to
>mean?

Yes.

However, if you care to look back over the archives and the 'wiki',
you'll see that I've already acknowledged that "sci" should not be used,
and that "taxon" or "biota" would be better; in fact I did so a month
ago tomorrow.

--
Andy Mabbett
                Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>