[uf-discuss] Visual Art Titles Microformat Proposal

Jeremy Boggs jeremyboggs at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 14:17:02 PDT 2006

Hi Emir,

> Are there similar initiatives I'm not aware of?

It sounds like this might be a good addition to the citation
microformat effort [1] and related pages. [2] I think the majority of
the discussion/efffort for the citation has focused on text
documents, but a case could certainly be made (and one that I would
support) that the citation microformat should include works of art
and other visual works (photographs, sculptures).

  As you mention, some of the basic components (title, creator, date)
are already in use in the citation microformat. There are a few other
components (medium, size, unit of size) that might not be included.
For this, it might be helpful to gather examples of how art is cited/
referenced/cataloged on the web. I would be interested in helping
with this. And other microformat efforts could be used: There is a
"measures" microformat effort that would be useful in marking up the
size and unit of size for art. [1]

There are other folks more involved with the citation effort than I,
so they might be of better assistance. But I hope this helps!

Best,
Jeremy

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/citation
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/citation#See_Also