[uf-discuss] Proposal: Lunar/ Mars co-ordinates (like "geo")

Kevin Marks kmarks at technorati.com
Tue Sep 19 00:04:21 PDT 2006

On Sep 18, 2006, at 3:57 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> In message <c4138a9fe6c4b1899ebcad2d74e26f4c at technorati.com>, Kevin
> Marks <kmarks at technorati.com> writes
>
>> How about adding a container around the geo that specifies the planet
>> (or geoid, if you want to get extra fussy. You can say it defaults to
>> WSGS-84, which is backwards compatible).
>
> Do you mean <http://www.wgs84.com/> which, helpfully, has as its total
> content:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGS84 is a decent article on the
terrestrial geoid. These exist for other planets too (and the moon) but
they are much more tentative.

Note multiple statements of Apollo landing co-ords here:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/alsjcoords.html

> Currently, the lunar geoid is being redefined with Clementine data, so
> the location (latitude, longitude, and elevation) of everything will
> change again very soon

I believe the reference geoids for other planets are also under revision