[uf-discuss] a very early draft proposal hTagcloud

Matthew Levine matthew at infocraft.com
Wed Sep 20 02:45:06 PDT 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 1:39 AM, Ben Ward wrote:

> Personally I quite like the nested behaviour. I accept that is also
> unspecified implied semantics, but it doesn't seem unreasonable…
> that said, you can get four levels of tag cloud without nesting of
> the same element (by using STRONG as well)....
>
> Would four levels be enough?

According to John's usage study [1], five levels would be enough for
del.icio.us, Web Connections, and possibly ZoomClouds. You could eke
out a fifth level by making nesting order significant:

<ol class="hTagcloud">
   <li>Level One</li>
</ol>

Example CSS:

.hTagcloud em { font-size: 1.2em; }
.hTagcloud strong { font-size: 1.4em; }
.hTagcloud em strong { font-size: 1.6em; }

/* Level Four gets 1.2em * 1.4em ~ 1.68em
    Level Five gets 1.6em * 1.2em ~ 1.92em */

However, I'm not whether I like exploiting nesting order. It feels a
bit hackish, and isn't as semantically unambiguous as Ben's initial
example.

- Matthew

[1] http://microformatique.com/?page_id=34

--
Infocraft: handcrafted markup for savvy designers.
http://www.infocraft.com/