[uf-discuss] 'currency' microformat straw-man proposal.

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Wed Sep 20 19:47:31 PDT 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 6:59 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> No. You're not in a position to stipulate "requirements" (much less
> "required prerequisites" (sic)) of me, and your insinuations of
> bias are
> unfounded.

We all have bias.  I'm interested in a currency microformat because I
work on several intranet accounting applications in my day job.  But
these personal interests  of mine should not form the basis of a
currency microformat.  The process of documenting and evaluating
existing practices and existing formats helps guard against my
personal bias leading to a microformat that is very useful for me,
but not so much for the web at large.

Tantek alone is not in a position to stipulate requirements (or if he
is, he does so at the risk of alienating the community) but the
community as a whole /is/ in that position, and we seem to have
general agreement that the process is a pretty good set of
requirements.  If we have disagreement about the process, we should
discuss it before moving forward with a microformat.

On Sep 20, 2006, at 7:24 PM, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

> But, I've tried to keep one thing in mind (and give him the benefit of
> the doubt and not that)... in e-mail, people always tend to seem rude.
>
> Just my opinion... I don't think Tantek means anything by it.  (I.e.,
> I don't think he's trying to be insulting.  That's just how he
> writes.)

I, too, will testify that Tantek's just-the-facts-ma'am writing style
grows on one over time.

Peace,
Scott