[uf-discuss] 'currency' microformat straw-man proposal.

Gazza gazza at garyjones.co.uk
Wed Sep 20 23:32:18 PDT 2006

Charles Iliya Krempeaux mumbled the following on 21/09/2006 01:30:
> Hello,
>
> On 9/20/06, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
>> In message <4511C248.1000708 at garyjones.co.uk>, Gazza
>> <gazza at garyjones.co.uk> writes
>
> [...]
>
>> >I don't think any mention of ISO4217 is needed within the code though;
>> >it could be accepted as the default way of doing it, in the same way
>> >ISO8601 is used for dates, and whatever co-ordinate system is used in
>> >geo, etc.
>>
>> Seconded. It only needs to be specified if there's more than one
>> standard in use.
>
> But what if others want to use other currency labels?  (Other than
> those specified by ISO 4127).

Such as?

We could use other date formats other than ISO8601, but someone (Ryan,
Tantek, et al) made the decision to use that standard.

> What if a new specification comes out and these 3 letter codes from
> ISO 4127 becomes obsolete?

Then, we can move seamlessly across - any new spec would not include
previously used three letter codes as new codes. Those ISO boys aren't
stupid :o) Obselete codes would still be valid in the context of uf and
HTML. Any parsers would have to be aware of being backwards-compatible.

  > And what if one or more of these 3 letter codes also stands for
> something else.  Used in some other Semantic HTML (or Microformat)?
>
> For example.. what if "sit" is used in some other Semantic HTML?  How
> do you know if "sit" represents the Slovenia Tolar or to "sit down" in
> some other Semantic HTML (or something else)?

Because the span or abbr that contains in (either within the element, or
within a title attribute) is itself contained within a class="currency"
element.

--
Regards,
Gazza