[uf-discuss] 'currency' microformat straw-man proposal.

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Sep 21 12:00:45 PDT 2006

On Sep 21, 2006, at 1:26 PM, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

> Yes, I agree that we should be using ISO 4127 codes.  (I guess my
> original argumement has gotten lost in the blast of e-mails.)
>
> What I'm arguing is that... we should throw an iso4127 class name in
> there too so that other currency codes (besides ISO 4127) could be
> used too without (potentially) breaking this or other Semantic HTML
> systems (that either exist now or will exist in the future) for
> marking up currency.

I don't think so.  The currency type doesn't belong in the class name
because it's content.  It's published today in visible text (even
when only as "$"), and we shouldn't be hiding information.  And ISO
codes don't belong in a class name simply because they are less
comprehensible to publishers than something in plain English like
"currency."  As Joe pointed out, we can do something like <abbr
class="currency" title="CAD">CDN</abbr>, so I don't see how this
would constrain publishers at all.

Peace,
Scott