[uf-discuss] Tentative proposal for "What's New" listings

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Thu Sep 21 12:52:44 PDT 2006

Many websites have a "What's New" page. Here's one I maintain:

        <http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/new.htm>

I don't have the resources to provide that data as an RSS feed (I fudge
it, and offer an RSS feed of a less-frequently-updated mailing list);
yet I'm irritated to find similar page on sites I use, and not be able
to get them in RSS.

Would there be any mileage in a microformat for marking-up each entry,
so that they could be extracted by user-agents, and so that  third-
party utilities could compile RSS feeds (or indeed do other things with
them)?

Other such pages are:

        <http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/whatsnew> (no RSS)

        <http://www.hse.gov.uk/new/index.htm> (has RSS)

and most of those found at:

 <http://www.google.com/search?&q=%22what%27s+new%22+%22on+this+website+%
22>

Obvious components include an hCalendar, some text, and a URL.

--
Andy Mabbett
                Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>

                Free Our Data:  <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>