[uf-discuss] Citation: next steps?

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 07:43:16 PDT 2006

On 9/21/06, Michael McCracken <michael.mccracken at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the ROLE attribute of vcard means something different than
> what you guys were describing with a role.
>
> You were saying role = "what this person's relationship to the cited work is"

Right. The vCard role specifies a relation between an agent and an organization.

Contribution roles specify a relation between an agent and a cited work.

So:

book --> creator --> Agent --> role ---> Organization

Let's put it this way:

In a relational database, you'd have three tables: resources,
contributions, agents. Role is a column in the second.

But I think for a uF, the easiest thing to do is something like:

Alternately:

Which is to say the role here is not a characteristic of the contact
agent per se.

Bruce