[uf-discuss] Use of <abbr> (also <object>) and Accessibility

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri Sep 22 16:11:58 PDT 2006

On Sep 22, 2006, at 5:28 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:

>>> Nonsense.
>>
>> Hardly.  Few people use a year when giving a date that is close to
>> the
>> current date.
>
> Who said anything about "close to the current date"?

Most events on the web lack are published close to the date they
occur.  As a result, most published events on the web lack a year.
Most events on the web are published for an audience in the immediate
vicinity of the publisher.  As a result, most published events on the
web lack a time zone.  These two combined mean the published event
date is almost always less complicated than the ISO 8601 version of
the same date.  The less complicated version is treated as an
abbreviation of the more complicated version, just as DVD is a less
complicated abbreviation of Digital Video Disc.

For examples, looking at the first five live examples for hCalendar
in the wiki, the first four published dates (I couldn't find a date
on one) are:

6 octobre 20h00
Tuesday 26th September 9.00am
9 September at 7:30pm
Thursday 7th September 2006

All but one of these lack a published year.  All of them lack a
published time zone.  So all are less complicated than the ISO 8601
version of the dates.  Which of these is not an abbreviation of the
equivalent ISO 8601 date?  I'm not seeing the problem here.

Peace,
Scott