[uf-discuss] Re: a very early draft proposal hTagcloud

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 02:03:24 PDT 2006

I was using class="tagcloud" on the containing <ul>.

I also was using class="tag" on each tag link, since rel="tag" is not
appropriate.

I've never written a parser, but I would think that those two pieces
would give you enough context and nuclei to extrapolate a popularity

Lastly, I would recommend the formulation of class-tag, as a corrolary
to rel-tag. As David revealed, it's not exactly clear when to use
rel-tag -- it seems that, just like hcard, you might use it
*everywhere* you find a tag, instead of in places where the tag
applies to local content. This is, I think, due to the lack of clarity
on what "rel" is to be used for (a matter of education, but a misuse
that could spread widely if we're not careful).

Therefore, in cases where you have tags but are merely data and do not
actually describe the local content, class=tag seems to be a proper
way to describe the data as a tag without the secondary function of
describing the local content.

Furthermore, I was thinking that we need a way to markup tag lists in
general, and as a first order, like the list of tags on someone's
delicious page, that are not visualized as a tagcloud. This technique
should be the "parent" of the tagcloud, which, in my estimation, leads
me back to:

Taglist: <ul class="xoxo"><li><a href="tag/foo"

Or something along those lines. I don't actually mind John's
vvvv-popular proposal, but again, for accessibility's sake, you lose
the graph-like quality of the nature of tagclouds.

Chris