[uf-discuss] use existing before proposing new

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sun Sep 24 14:38:02 PDT 2006

In message <C13C4482.7BB26%tantek at cs.stanford.edu>, Tantek Çelik
<tantek at cs.stanford.edu> writes

>Before proposing even the assumed *need* for a microformat, what if we
>require that the proposer *first* demonstrate an understanding of
>current microformats by requiring that they use/adopt existing
>microformats on their web pages whereever applicable (e.g. hCards for
>people/orgs, hCalendar for events etc.), and only *after* they've
>actually used existing microformats as such, permit the proposal of new
>microformats?

In my case, I came here some months ago, lurked, posted a few minor
comments and lots of questions; marked up some test microformats, asked
for feedback, applied fixes, iterated, marked-up a quantity of real
data, proposed two simple replications/ adaptations of an existing
format, and ONLY THEN proposed the format ("species"), the desire for
which had first led me to look for something like microformats in the
first place.

That said, you can't stop someone from saying "Hey, I think we need a
microformat for X"; doubly so in a supposedly *open* standards
community.
--
Andy Mabbett
                Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>