[uf-discuss] Dated currency examples?

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sun Sep 24 15:15:52 PDT 2006

In message <C13C4877.7BB2E%tantek at cs.stanford.edu>, Tantek Çelik
<tantek at cs.stanford.edu> writes

>> Who will be dissuaded, by the inclusion of an *optional* component?
>
>Because if it is unnecessary for the 80/20, we leave it out.

The question was "who".

>  Otherwise there is a ballooning of optional components.

That's absurd, and a very weak and illogical form of argument. Nobody is
suggesting any more than one optional component. You've invented the
rest.

>In terms of date, I suggest you look to the context of the document
>itself (or perhaps surrounding blog post) for date time information.
>E.g. consider marking up a context with hAtom inside which the currency
>would be implied to be "current" according to the "published" datetime.
>I would assert this covers far more than the 80/20 case but more like
>the 99+% case (ecommerce sites etc.).

And is there, or is there ever likely to be an hAtom parser which
converts historical to current values?

How will you get an hAtom "published" date from a page of prose which
includes a paragraph (values invented):

        In 1920 an average house cost £300, in 1930 it cost $500, in
        1960 it cost £2,500, in 1990, £55,000 but today it costs
        £150,000.

and even if you do, what use will it be?

Finally, I thought the community wanted evidence, not assertions? Or is
that a one-way thing?
--
Andy Mabbett
                Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>