[uf-discuss] [citation]: Brian's outstanding issues 2:

Michael McCracken michael.mccracken at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 15:05:35 PDT 2006

continuing the series... Brian's second outstanding issue with citation:

"2) I keep mis-using "format", format is the medium - hardback,
softback. The TYPE (there probably is a better word - container?) is
book, article, conference, manifesto, etc. Much like the identifers we
can make an enumerated list of values, class="book", class="article",
but that boxes us in, whereas something like: <span
class="type">article</span> leaves things more open."*

I think there isn't a better word than type. It's the word used to
define the type of a reference in Dublin Core, BibTeX, and RIS
(endnote). It's relatively familiar.

I do agree that using an element with type class instead of a huge
number of type classes is the way to go here, to avoid class namespace
pollution.

Comments?
-mike

* untl just now, the markup for <"span class="type">..." was hidden
from display so it just looked like "something like: article leaves
..."

--
Michael McCracken
UCSD CSE PhD Candidate