[uf-discuss] [citation]: Brian's outstanding issues 2:

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 16:51:45 PDT 2006

On 9/25/06, Michael McCracken <michael.mccracken at gmail.com> wrote:

> I do agree that using an element with type class instead of a huge
> number of type classes is the way to go here, to avoid class namespace
> pollution.

I actually don't like using the separate element, in part because this
information is usally not displayed, but rather used for processing
(styling and conversion). The type does matter for display, in other
words, but in more subtle ways that have the user see "book."

Before we settle this, can we go over the technical arguments against
using classes? I know, for example, that Tantek once said it's not
generally good practice to double up classes ("hcite book") but I'd
like some explanation about why.

But I will say that in either case, one must allow for extensions.
I've worked on this for a long time, and defining a fixed list of
types that is anything but arbitrary is pretty much impossible.

Bruce