[uf-discuss] [citation]: Brian's outstanding issues 3: nesting

Michael McCracken michael.mccracken at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 17:07:59 PDT 2006

Sorry, it was hinted at in the first email- I should have included it in each:
http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-brainstorming#Outstanding_Issues

On 9/25/06, Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> First, a URL for the wiki page you are referring to would be helpful ;-)
>
> On 9/25/06, Michael McCracken <michael.mccracken at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > option 1: requires class names for every reference type. I don't like
> > this option either.
> >
> > option 2: uses type class, but makes it confusing IMO - what if you
> > want to include more data about the containing reference than just one
> > element? Does the type continue to influence sibling elements until
> > another type element cancels it out?
>
> Can't comment on the above since I don't know the context.
>
> > I have another option that might work:
> >
> > option 3: nest ufs. I've used this a few times in examples without
> > anyone commenting on it. Is this OK? What are the pros/cons? I have
> > parsed HTML using a DOM traversal before, and this seems like it'd be
> > reasonably easy to parse. It's also a little easier to write and more
> > obvious than #2, IMO, since it's clear that the elements under the
> > container span are all referring to the item that's of type book...

> I thnk that's fine, notwithstanding my other quetion about the "type"
> span (which seems even more funky in this case). Also, "citation"
> could probably be "hcite"?

Is your other question in the other email thread? If so, I'll respond
over there.

I have no opinion about citation vs. hcite.
-mike

--
Michael McCracken
UCSD CSE PhD Candidate