[uf-discuss] Tentative proposal for "What's New" listings

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Wed Sep 27 14:12:28 PDT 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 11:53 AM, David Janes wrote:

> Quite honestly, I'm still mulling this one over. I note:
>
> - I've never seen it in the wild
> - something feels "off" to me about hiding human readable content
> in an ABBR
> - I can think off some places where it would be useful though

I've found more and more places where it's useful. For example:

   <abbr class="type" title="cell">mobile</abbr>

With tel type, et al, we have a limit list of values from the RFCs.
Sometimes you don't want to use precisely that term.

> I'd be much happier if there was a general rulle across all
> microformats that said this was the way to handle ABBRs, either
> universally or "in these specific cases".
>
> So where does that leave us? Out of hAtom 0.1 and mulling it over
> for hAtom 0.2.

There isn't currently a general rule. Or, at least, we haven't
specified it.

However, in my parsing code and test cases (http://microformats.org/
tests/), I've implemented abbr at title parsing for everything except
for fields that expect a url.

-ryan