Currency+Product (Was: [uf-discuss] Dated currency examples?)

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri Sep 29 05:17:45 PDT 2006

On Sep 29, 2006, at 2:56 AM, Lorenzo De Tomasi wrote:

> A proposal can be:

> <abbr class="unit money" title="USD per barrel">$/barrel</abbr> <span
> class="value">10,5</span>
>
> I have not yet studied "Related microformats" (I'll do it), but, if I
> have understood the example, another proposal can be:

>               <abbr class="unit money" title="USD">$</abbr>
>       a <span class="item fn">barrel</span>
>
> What do you think?

I don't think many are publishing the currency and the product
combined as in the first "USD per barrel" example, so it's a non-
starter.  I think the ability of a machine to know what that "$10" is
a monetary amount, and which currency the "$" suggests is valuable
enough by itself.  I suggest we leave the possibilities of combing it
with other types of data (e.g. products, dates, job listings, etc.)
to be explored after this basic standard gains some traction.

Peace,
Scott