[uf-discuss] Re: [hcite] nesting container elements

Ryan Cannon ryan at ryancannon.com
Mon Apr 2 17:31:18 PDT 2007

Michael McCracken wrote:

> We need to deal with bibliographic details for things like chapters in
> a book, articles in a journal or magazine, and issues in a series.
>
> For designing a format, the main problem is that there are duplicate
> items that need to be scoped - for instance, both the article and the
> journal have a title.

I actually brought this up in December in response to Brian's straw
format[1],
but the words I thought to use were "collection" or "in". I like "in"
largely
because some citation formats actually use that word to describe this
type of
relationship:

The American Chemical Society: [2]

 > Almlof, J.; Gropen, O. Relativistic Effects in Chemistry.
 > In Reviews in Computational Chemistry Lipkowitz, K.B.,
 > Boyd, D.B., Eds.; VCH: New York, 1996; Vol. 8, pp 206-210.

American Psychological Society: [3]

 > James, N. E. (1988). Two sides of paradise: The Eden myth according
 > to Kirk and Spock. In D. Palumbo (Ed.), Spectrum of the fantastic
 > (pp. 219-223). Westport, CT: Greenwood.

Chicago Style: [4]

 > Repgen, K. 1987. What is a 'Religious War'? In Politics and society
 > in Reformation Europe, edited by E. I. Kouri and T. Scott, 311-328.
 > London: Macmillan

"In", being a preposition, sounds kludgy on its own, but reads very well
within the code:

     ..

Note too that this problem exists for other parts of citations, like
publisher data: most book citations are published with the city of
publication, but this is more appropriately the `adr` field of a nested
hcard for the publisher. Here, nested data is appropriate to the top-
level
citation as well.

[1]: http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-brainstorming#Book
      (toward the end of the section)