[uf-discuss] Authority (was: Text::Microformat - a uf parser for Perl)

Keith Grennan keith at nearlyfree.org
Fri Apr 27 07:54:00 PDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 07:40:01PM -0500, Scott Reynen wrote:
> On Apr 26, 2007, at 5:54 PM, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:
>
> >I realize you may not like that distinction, and we may or may not
> >have any ability to enforce that, but I think it is only reasonable
> >for us to attempt to enforce community standards, if only through
> >peer pressure.
>
> I agree.  I really hope "microformat" won't turn into just another
> term for "semantic HTML."  Clear communication is difficult enough
> already without additional ambiguity.

I think it already has.

It's like Adobe trying to control how people use the word 'photoshop'.

You end up with single interest group that keeps repeating "That thing
your refer to is not actually FooBar - these are the real FooBars over
here".  But no one else cares, because people will use language to suit
their needs.

As the popularity of the term microformat grows, you might have to look
for higher ground that's easier to defend.  Because really, who wants to
spend their time and energy being language police?

Keith

ps. I realize that I'm a newcomer to this community, so I hope I'm not
offending anyone.  Hopefully my comments are valuable as an outsider's
first impression.