[uf-discuss] Best practice for the abbr pattern

Jeremy Keith jeremy at adactio.com
Fri Apr 27 09:49:57 PDT 2007

This is another response to the WaSP post about screen reader issues
with the abbr pattern:
http://www.webstandards.org/2007/04/27/haccessibility/

As I pointed out in a comment on the post, their example uses the
condensed form of the datetime, e.g.:

title="20070312T170000"

This currently causes problems for screen readers as they attempt to
read the numbers as one long string.

However, the datetime can also be written with dashes and colons like
this:

title="2007-03-12T17:00:00"

http://microformats.org/wiki/datetime-design-pattern

Would everyone agree that, for the sake of screen reader users, we
should update the wiki to strongly encourage this more verbose
version of datetimes and strongly discourage the contracted version?

Some test results can be found here:
http://dotjay.co.uk/tests/screen-readers/date-time/#test-microformats

Bye,

Jeremy