[uf-discuss] changing abbr-design-pattern to title-design-pattern?

Patrick H. Lauke redux at splintered.co.uk
Sat Apr 28 14:11:05 PDT 2007

Andy Mabbett wrote:

> For the benefit of new list members, the IRC logs are at:
>
>         <http://rbach.priv.at/Microformats-IRC/>
>
> The discussion referred to begins at:
>
>         <http://rbach.priv.at/Microformats-IRC/2007-04-27#T154600>

Cheers Andy.

I'm sorry, but this comment is revealing

"<tantek> OTOH, not allowing bugs and stubbornness of implementers to
retard/slow/stop progress."

Basically this is a complaint that current screen readers aren't yet
frantically in the process of fixing their 800+ US$ software (some of
which doesn't even support web standards in most cases, i.e. ignores
many accessibility hooks and benefits built right into (X)HTML itself,
opting for flaky heuristics instead) to support this fringe group's
interpretation of what an ABBR is, and what the TITLE attribute stands
for? Forgive me, but this smacks just a bit of arrogance...

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/