[uf-discuss] changing abbr-design-pattern to title-design-pattern?

James Craig jcraig at apple.com
Sat Apr 28 22:51:29 PDT 2007

There is one other part Tantek may have missed when he wrote:

>> In addition I think this is a case where a little bit of pain now
>> with abbr and some tools actually opens up the potential for
>> *much* better accessibility/usability tools (once UAs actually
>> recognize ISO dates as such and can speak/rewrite them for a
>> user's datetime/language/locality preferences).  I for one think
>> this tradeoff is more than reasonable.

The article also states:

> The Microformats group is vehemently opposed to hypothetical
> situations as the basis for a Microformat change. Real-world
> examples are often requested, or as they commonly phrase it,
> examples “in the wild.”
>
> We remind the Microformats group that real-world screen reader
> implementations existed, according to spec and “in the wild,” long
> before the Microformats design patterns, and we encourage the group
> to respect those real-world implementations, rather than focusing
> on hypothetical situations...

The "screen readers may support ISO dates someday" argument is a
great idea–I will laud it if it happens–but it's completely
hypothetical. Surely you can admit that, and if so, maybe you can
admit the argument is not a legitmate justification for the datetime-
design-pattern, and especially not for the use of abbr-design-pattern
in geo.

James