[uf-discuss] changing abbr-design-pattern to title-design-pattern?

Jeremy Keith jeremy at adactio.com
Mon Apr 30 06:00:14 PDT 2007

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up but there's an interesting
comment from Lawrence Meckan on the WaSP blog post:
http://www.webstandards.org/2007/04/27/haccessibility/#comment-57838

He's getting good results from up-to-date screen readers with advance
verbosity settings and this little caveat about the markup:

"I’ve also expanded the abbr pattern to include a span inside it,
essentially duplicating the semantic structure, in order to do a fix
for IE6 not styling abbrevations."

If there's a chance that adding an extra span inside the abbr element
somehow helps screen readers, then that should probably be included
in the test cases:
http://microformats.org/wiki/assistive-technology-abbr-results

Like I said, we shouldn't get our hopes but it's certainly worth
investigating.

Bye,

Jeremy

--