[uf-discuss] Re: changing abbr-design-pattern to title-design-pattern?

Absalom Media absalom at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 30 06:59:15 PDT 2007

Jeremy wrote:
> I don't want to get anyone's hopes up but there's an interesting
> comment from Lawrence Meckan on the WaSP blog post:
> http://www.webstandards.org/2007/04/27/haccessibility/#comment-57838

Jeremy,

I'm still working through why and how I'm getting the results I've got.

Notes thus far:

1) JAWS 8 starts off in "beginner" verbosity mode as default, which
means it doesn't read titles outside the site title, from my testing.
I followed Jon Gibbins' walkthough on how to set up JAWS correctly for
titles, just in case I missed anything. It somehow read it okay.

2) I set up Windows Eyes 6 to read the entire document and it had no
problems with the inclusion of a spanned element inside the
abbreviation. I may have missed the setting for titling on first pass
(need to revisit on Wednesday)

3) Firevox testing was simple, again setting it to auto read the entire
document, then testing with "Say Selected Text", "Spell Out" and "Read
Current Position". The latter 3 were done with selecting the title of
the relevant post, published date and first sentence of post text (as
all posts are hAtomised).

> He's getting good results from up-to-date screen readers with advance
> verbosity settings and this little caveat about the markup:
>
> "I’ve also expanded the abbr pattern to include a span inside it,
> essentially duplicating the semantic structure, in order to do a fix
> for IE6 not styling abbrevations."
>
> If there's a chance that adding an extra span inside the abbr element
> somehow helps screen readers, then that should probably be included
> in the test cases:
> http://microformats.org/wiki/assistive-technology-abbr-results
>
> Like I said, we shouldn't get our hopes but it's certainly worth
> investigating.

That's what I'm doing, Jeremy. Investigating it..

I see three possible outcomes:
1) I've done something horribly wrong to get the results I have.
2) That extra span fixes it, somehow.
3) Something else..?

I should have more results uploaded late Wednesday AEST (I forgot to
record the audio outputs in the initial test for this behaviour), which
should mean they should go live around midday in Brighton.

Thanks

Lawrence

--
Lawrence Meckan