[uf-discuss] changing abbr-design-pattern to title-design-pattern?

Patrick H. Lauke redux at splintered.co.uk
Mon Apr 30 12:27:24 PDT 2007

Jeremy Keith wrote:
> I don't want to get anyone's hopes up but there's an interesting comment
> from Lawrence Meckan on the WaSP blog post:
> http://www.webstandards.org/2007/04/27/haccessibility/#comment-57838
>
> He's getting good results from up-to-date screen readers with advance
> verbosity settings and this little caveat about the markup:
>
> "I’ve also expanded the abbr pattern to include a span inside it,
> essentially duplicating the semantic structure, in order to do a fix for
> IE6 not styling abbrevations."
>
> If there's a chance that adding an extra span inside the abbr element
> somehow helps screen readers, then that should probably be included in
> the test cases:
> http://microformats.org/wiki/assistive-technology-abbr-results
>
> Like I said, we shouldn't get our hopes but it's certainly worth
> investigating.

Just spoke quickly to Jon Gibbins on the phone, and he mentioned that it
appears to be more of a bug in JAWS due to the use of sIFR (which causes
JAWS to sometimes read titles, and sometimes not)...but he'll be testing
this further to come to some hard evidence on that.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/