[uf-discuss] [rethinking abbr] Does <object> deserve another look?

James Craig jcraig at apple.com
Mon Apr 30 17:53:51 PDT 2007

The main problem, as I understood it, is that "object[data]" expects
a URI, even if it doesn't know how to handle it, so the first
suggestion is actually requesting the relative path "./20050125"
which causes extra junk 404s (Ex. 1; not necessarily a bug). Some UAs
even requested relative paths for anchored resources in the page as
with the object include-pattern (Ex. 2; probably a bug and definitely
a reason to ditch it).

1. <object class="dtstart" data="20050125">January 25</object>
2. <object class="include" data="#foo"></object>

Problem noted here: http://microformats.org/wiki/include-pattern-
feedback

The next problem was browser display inconsistency with the human-
readable text being the innerHTML of the object.

The object example listed in the WaSP post circumvented both of these
problems, but wasn't very elegant markup and even looked sloppy
without the accompanying CSS. The solution was basically to ditch
"object[data]" and use "object param[value]" instead. The inelegant–
but working–object version was:

   January 25

There may be an additional problem of performance–what happens when
you load up 300 empty objects on a page even if they aren't trying to
reload the page 300 times–but it's as yet undocumented. I would have
spent more time finding out if the solution had been more elegant. As
is, I wasn't seriously suggesting it, but I wanted to leave the
possibility in there for consideration. This was as much homework as
I deemed necessary to commit.

James