[uf-discuss] Microformats in Google Maps

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Aug 2 05:45:08 PDT 2007

On Aug 1, 2007, at 7:42 PM, Michael MD wrote:

> Freeform text addresses might not be good for conversion to hcard/
> vcard but can still be very useful to humans!
> - it seems obvious to me that people out there (regardless of what
> anyone says) will try to stick them in adr somehow!
>
> Perhaps we do need some way to mark up such addresses so that there
> could be export tools that give the user options to split them?

I don't understand why we need some way to mark up such addresses.
Aren't publishers already marking them up with class="adr"?  A while
back I wrote a tool to insert geo coordinates in hCards based on
addresses:

http://microformat.makedatamakesense.com/auto_geo/

That doesn't require any structure to addresses, so it works fine
with adr as unstructured text.  I think we'd have a hard time coming
up with a better solution to this problem than the one that's already
working in practice.

Peace,
Scott