[uf-discuss] Simple solution to abbr-D-P accessibility concerns: 'Title Trigger'

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 04:06:15 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 00:42 +0100, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> Here's a proposal, for a "title trigger", an alternative to the
> abbr-design pattern. Patrick Lauke did mention it originally, some time
> ago, but it seems to have been overlooked:
>
> Use a class name; say "ufusetitle" (for "microformat, use title") or
> something equally unlikely to otherwise occur in the wild, on any
> element, to trigger the use of the title attribute.
>
> e.g.
>           class="dtstart ufusetitle"
>           title="2007-08-16"
>         >

>         16th August this year

> It strikes me as simple, easy to learn, easy to author and easy for
> parsers to adapt to.

This could still cause issues with screen readers and the like wouldn't
it?[1] I am no expert but I presume the title value will still be
parsed ?

I think this would be better

	<dfn>16th August this year.</dfn>

<DFN> DFN:
         Indicates that this is the defining instance of the enclosed
term.[2][3]

[1] http://www.webstandards.org/2007/04/27/haccessibility/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#edef-DFN
[3] http://www-fs.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/~hunszing/QuickRef.html