[uf-discuss] Re: dfn design pattern (proposal)

Edward O'Connor hober0 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 09:34:13 PDT 2007

Brian wrote:

> it[...] gives us the <time> element[,] which would be the most
> semantic element for this pattern.
[...]
> The trouble is that we are searching for a solution to the issues NOW.
[...]
> The DFN and other proposals are searching for a solution that can be
> used forever with HTML4.

If browsers introduced a new parsing mode for HTML5, this might be a
reasonable way forward, but it's pretty clear that they don't intend to
do so.[1] The stated goal is to process all versions of HTML with the
same, HTML5, algorithm.

Basically, HTML5 moves us away from HTML language *versions* and toward
CSS-like language *levels*. We should try to formulate our markup with
that in mind.

When the <time> element becomes available, yes, microformats should
prefer its use. But with my microformat parser implementor hat on, I
don't intend to reject use of the <abbr> design pattern once <time> is
available. They'll both work, it's just that one will be preferred. I
can't say the same about the <dfn> design pattern.

1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/1609.html