[uf-discuss] Need for plain-language intros for each microformat

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Thu Aug 30 14:49:47 PDT 2007

In message <C2FC6B8F.94088%tantek at cs.stanford.edu>, Tantek Çelik
<tantek at cs.stanford.edu> writes

>Replying to several messages in this thread in one reply:

>>> --- moving the specs would break links from all over the web and in
>>> dead tree books that say "you can view the hCard spec at ..." Cool URIs
>>> don't change. It is probably a better idea create new pages about each
>>> format and point people to those instead and link the specs to them.
>>
>> The URI would still work, and a link to the spec could be included "above
>> the fold".
>
>Syntactically the URI would still work, however, semantically it would have
>been broken, that is, it is bad to not only change URIs so that they 404 and
>just plain don't work, but it is also bad to change the *meaning* of that
>URI.

On the contrary, the meaning of the URL would remain the same, and be
more relevant to the content at that URL. For example:

        <http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard>

is "the wiki page about the hCard microformat", with no reference to the
specification; that would be:

        <http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-specification>

>As Brian pointed out, the URLs for hCard, hCalendar, hReview etc. all *mean*
>the *specification*.

That's an assertion, for which you have provided no evidence; I'm
calling you on it (see also above).

>Microformats spec pages should be at least as usable as W3C spec pages.
[...]
>As such, some of the specifics listed would be a good start:
>
>* brief plain-language intro at the top (say for example, something that a
>non-technical person like a member of the general media/press could read and
>understand)
>* followed by links to more plain-language resources
>
>Adding to my to-do list now...

It's not something that only you can do. I'd be quite happy to
contribute a considerable portion, for one.

>If others have specific suggestions for usability/readability improvements,
>please add them to the to-do list:
>
>http://microformats.org/wiki/to-do

*18* months ago:

  <http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2006-February/003068.html>