[uf-discuss] hCalendar, geo & Operator extension

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Mon Dec 3 13:26:58 PST 2007

On 3 Dec 2007, at 18:58, Scott Reynen wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007, at 11:18 AM, Ben Ward wrote:
>
>>>                   <abbr class="geo point-20" title="+22.31119;
>>> +89.86145">
>>>                       Rayenda, Bangladesh
>>>                   </abbr>
>>
>> There's no way that ‘+22.31119;+89.86145’ is an abbreviation of
>> ‘Rayenda, Bangladesh’.
>
> Without commenting on the truthfulness of the statement, the above
> syntax says the opposite: that "Rayenda, Bangladesh" is an
> abbreviation of "+22.31119;+89.86145."  The title attribute is the
> long form, not the abbreviation.  I don't know if this is just
> careless language or actual confusion, but this has come up
> multiple times and I think it's important we're all clear on what
> the markup asserts if we're going to have a discussion about the
> truthfulness of that assertion.

You are completely correct, not a misunderstanding on my part, I just
wrote the wrong thing (I've been rather ill, my brain isn't joining
all the dots in the right order at this point).

I stand by point, and I think the examples on geo-brainstorming are
dangerous.

Premasagar, the ‘brainstorming’ pages are just that, and shouldn't be
considered part of the specification itself. I'm sorry that our pages
are misleading like that.

The critical part of the HTML4 spec that causes ‘Rayenda, Bangladesh’
*not* to be an abbreviation of ‘22.31119;+89.86145’ is this:

 > “The content of the ABBR and ACRONYM elements specifies the
abbreviated expression itself, as it
 > would normally appear in running text. The title attribute of
these elements may be used to provide
 > the full or expanded form of the expression.”

 > “as it would normally appear in running text.”

Whilst I appreciate the HTML4 spec can be a little vague sometimes,
in this case it's pretty clear: ABBR is not for fuzzy approximations,
it's for abbreviated expressions. I think we've got to be really
delicate and careful about this. Microformats prides itself on
building technologies on top of existing standards. The abbreviation
pattern is a neat parsing trick, but you've gotta meet the
requirements of the underlying technology.

Regards,

Ben

For reference, the section from the HTML4 spec regarding ABBR and
ACRONYM

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#h-9.2.1