[uf-discuss] Avoiding Premature Optimisation in ‘The Process’

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 08:24:22 PST 2007

As some of my recent messages will clearly suggest, I'm concerned
that we are becoming too quick during development of new formats to
leap on some of the optimisation patterns established for other
formats (abbr-pattern, include-pattern).

We're starting to see situations — such as co-ordinates being the
expansion of a place name — where we seem to be thinking of the
pattern before we're thinking about the meaning of the raw HTML it
produces.

I'd like to see the Process include something that perhaps
discourages or even disallows the use of optimisation patterns
(Include, ABBR, any others in the future) until after the first sets
of mark-up are produced and semantically optimised. Then, where
patterns do match the optimal mark-up and HTML semantics, they can be
added. Where they do not, then we identify situations that require
new patterns.

My hope would be that by including such a step, we avoid shoehorning
things into the ABBR pattern that are inappropriate, and force the
entire development community to think about HTML first.

Ben