[uf-discuss] Jeremy's inline friend link pattern

Jeremy Keith jeremy at adactio.com
Wed Dec 5 05:45:29 PST 2007

Thom wrote:
> Now I copied the HTML structure from Jeremy's site, he uses a span to
> specify the hCard. I was wondering though if cite would be more
> semantically valuable here? It depends on how it's used but for most
> cases I can think of it would work. Any ideas?

Good point. I tend to use the cite element when I'm referencing
*things* like films and books but I hadn't thought about using it for
*people*. The spec says that the element should contain "a reference
to other sources" and even gives an example of citing a person:

As <CITE>Harry S. Truman</CITE> said...
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#edef-CITE

So I think you may be right, Thom. The cite element looks like a good
fit for situations where I'm *referencing* other people (which is
usually what happens in a blog post) and seems like a good fit for
the root element of an hCard. It's certainly semantically richer than
using a span element.

I think this would make a good addition to the hCard authoring page:
http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-authoring
along with suggestions about when to use (and not use) the address
element, which currently is listed in the hCard FAQs:
http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-faq#Should_I_use_ADDRESS_for_hCards

If I have time, I'll do some Wiki updating later today.

Bye,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Keith